Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Candidate to Cadet: My Journey in SSB - 'Chapter 6'

Chapter 6
The Final Chapter


Disclaimer:- This is a continuing story, please read chapter 1 2 3 4 and 5 below to be in track

At the end of the physical task every one of us was tired. We all were trying to sleep but the pain in our bodies was not allowing us to. At around 8PM, we went to the canteen. India was playing England at Lords, Rahul Dravid batting firmly in his historical knock of 270 runs which gave him the name “The Wall”. We sat and watched the match for a while, till Rahul Dravid was run out by Ajay Ratra, Commentators said it was the only way this man can be out. We all cursed Ratra and then came back to our rooms and crashed on the beds of MIG-29.

The following day I was going to face my first ever personal interview, most of the candidates were preparing hard for interview. Some of the guys were collecting points to justify their hobbies; some were brushing up the recent news, while some were still resting with their eyes closed. I was among the third kind. I have seen people trying hard to collect information about their hobbies to justify to crowd that they actually are an avid follower of the interest. Why on earth a movie buff has to go around saying that he loves movies or he knows everything about every movie on the planet, A stamp collector first have to by heart all the terminologies of stamp collecting and if he loves to collects stamp why on earth he is supposed to know that it is called Philately.

Our interviews were scheduled from 10 AM sharp. The formal attire of all the candidates made the environment even more serious. This was the first time I was appearing in front of an interviewer and was scared even by the thought of it, but my stay for last 4 days has given me enough confidence to hold myself together. We assembled in a small waiting room as the interview began in three different rooms. The first candidate has been in for 30 minutes, all of us sat there in silence, not a single voice spoke, not a single soul moved.

The first candidate came out all sweating. We were not allowed to talk to interviewed candidates. After few candidates my name was called. I knocked at the door

“May I come in sir?” I asked.

“Yes please!” acknowledged a voice. “Hello Anand! Please sit down. I am Squadron Leader Y.G.Reddy, I will be taking your interview.” This was not at all what I had expected. I had thought of a strict interviewer shouting and yelling at me with all kinds of absurd questions, but this man was calm and very composed.

“So Anand! Tell me something about yourself.” He continued. I saw the answer sheet of Self Appreciation Test which I had filled up during the Psychological test lying in front of him.

We discussed at length on the individual topics from the test sheet. It was more of a mutual discussion than an interview. I felt that I was talking much more easily than what I have always used to. I discussed about my opinions on social and political structure, my love life, relations with him and he listened to every single word with same level of sincerity.

“Tell me something about your hobbies.” He continued.

“I like to play cricket and I also sing occasionally” I replied.

He took out a Cricket Ball from the drawer and threw it towards me.

“Can you show me difference in grips for in swing and out swing deliveries?”

I smiled; it was in my region of interest. I took the ball, held it across the seam and showed him the grips for both kinds of seam deliveries. Interview ended on a pleasant note. I thanked him and took his leave.

Back at the base, all the candidates were tensed. Some of them were trying it for 3rd or 4th time, some of them were Army kids and carried a burden of expectations, and some of them had nothing else in option it was their only chance to do something. Gautam, Amit, Tenzong and I sat on the front porch. None of us talked but everyone understood what was happening. Our 5 days were over, whatever we could do, we had already done and now it was just a matter of decision. A decision either we will be an NDA Cadet or we will be not.

Next day started with the conference, where all the candidates were called one by one in front of the complete SSB panel for their final meet. All the panel members in the Air force uniform seated across a semi circular table and a chair was placed in between for candidates. All the candidates entered the room one by one. The most memorable conference session was of Ratanjyot.

An officer asked Ratanjyot “Why do you want to join Defence?”

“Because it is the second most prestigious job in country.” He replied. “Then what is the most prestigious?”Officer asked again.

“Being a Teacher.” He replied. “By the way, what does your father do.” Officer asked again.

“He is in police sir!” He replied with a smile. “So how do you rate a Police job then?”

“Just above the politician’s sir!” and the conference room burst into laughter.

All these light moments suddenly turned serious when we were asked to assemble in the seminar hall for results. Tension and fear was lurking from all the faces. We sat as per our chest numbers. Gautam chest no. 20 was sitting to my right. In our stay of 5 days we have done a lot of things which rumoured that our batch will be completely washed off.

DSO came to the podium. On his side stood a table on which T shirts wrapped in plastic bags were kept. Each selected candidate was supposed to get a White Polo T shirt with the Air Force logo on it.
There was a pin drop silence and all of us passed an occasional smile to each other.

DSO started his speech, for the first 10 min he spoke about the board and the batch increasing the tension even more. Then he finally came to point “Now I will be announcing the results for recommendations from this batch. Let me make it very clear that successful clearance of SSB test in no way means that you are inducted to NDA. This process will be followed by Medical Examination and Merit list.” He announced what we already knew.

“I will be announcing the chest numbers, those candidates are selected from this batch.” He continued.
“Chest no. 8, 16,20…” Gautam was selected; I was the next chest number, number 21. I closed my eyes in anticipation of one of the two possible results.

“25 , 28, and 33” I was not selected. When each of the selected candidates were called, they rose from their position walked to the podium and collected their T Shirts.

A drop of tear almost fell from my eyes, but I somehow managed to hold it back. I was not able to look up, not able to look towards Gautam even to congratulate him on his success.

When DSO handed over the last T Shirt to chest number 33, He spoke again
“There is one more selection, for Army/Navy group. As the candidate was not able to clear PABT, he will not be recommended for Air Force but as he has cleared all other aspects of SSB, he is recommended for his second preference in NDA written”

Everyone fell silent.

“Chest number 21, recommended for Army/navy group.” It was me.

The tear I had been holding with effort fell finally. Everyone in the room had a smile on his face.

I stood from my seat walked to the podium, had a firm hand shake with DSO and I was standing there as a CADET. A cadet selected for Army/Navy group at an Air Force SSB.

As the DSO walked out of the room, all the candidates came down congratulating all of us.

Gautam came to me and said “I knew it. If I am selected then you will be as well.”

After completing the required formalities, all the selected candidates left for the station. The Sergeant I had met on the train was driving the bus we boarded. He smiled at me and said “I saw your name on the list of selected candidates.”

“I held the rope above my nose level” I replied with a smile.

At 4.30 PM I was standing on Varanasi station waiting for my train to Allahabad for my Medical Examination. I had cleared one the toughest interviews across the globe. For that moment I was a CADET, a cadet ready to join NDA to serve his nation. With moist eyes I waited for my train to arrive staring at a red signal far ahead on the tracks.

What happened next is however the life and
LIFE is To be continued………………….

2 comments: