Sunday, March 13, 2011

Candidate to Cadet: My Journey in SSB - Chapter 5

Disclaimer:- This is a continuing story, please read chapter 1 2 3 and 4 below to be in track.
Chapter 5

Individual Obstacle


After a small break, the same 10 member batch was asked to assemble at the individual task ground. This was a bigger arena as compared to the group task, or it was looking because of a lot of empty spaces and lack of structures. It was of a size slightly larger than a half of a football ground. There were 10 obstacles in total, each of them situated at a fare distance and numbered in sequence.

Officer started speaking “This is your individual task ground. You see different obstacles marked in a definite sequence. Each obstacle carries the marks equal to its sequence number. You can follow any order to complete the obstacles, but you cannot repeat any obstacle unless you have completed the whole circuit of 10 obstacles. There are few red marks in each obstacle; you are not supposed to touch any. The total time limit is 20 minutes.”

We were all seated with our back facing the task ground so that we cannot see other candidates performing the task. Only the officer was observing the task performed by each candidate, he was also maintaining the time consumed.

Obstacles in order of their sequence were
1) A Slanted plank of about 5 ft.
2) A 4ft high jump set up.
3) A 6ft wooden wall standing on a slanted plank.
4) Balance beam: A bamboo supported by two bamboos
5) Alladin Jump: This was not the name actually; I gave it because of its setup. It was a setup of two machans one about 12-15 ft tall, second being 7-10 ft.
6) Burma Bridge: Set of two parallel ropes about 20 ft above the ground level.
7) Monkey Crawling
8) A truck tyre hanging from a pole.
9) Tiger leap: About 20 ft tall machan and a rope of same length hanging approx 4 ft away.
10) Rope climbing setup: A rope about 20 ft hanging by a pole

“Chest number 21”, It was my cue to enter the arena. I took a deep breath and stood on the mark to start. A lot was going through my mind. Physically I was not very strong in built, I had been playing all kind of sports so stamina was not a problem, but the tasks required strength as well. Strength, both Physical and mental. A drop of sweat went down my forehead and traced its path through my neck.

I started with the very first one. I ran towards the slanted platform with a brisk speed, jumped over and ran across it and landed safely on the sand other side. I had the first mark in my bag now. The second was easy a simple high jump. I resorted to orthodox side cross jump technique. The third surprise of my stay however came with obstacle 3. Gautam has taught us how to jump a wall on the ground level. This was a wooden wall standing on a slanted platform and since it was made of wood and painted, it was slippery.

“Should I change the strategy”, I thought for a while and started running towards the plank. I mounted the plank and took a leap and almost instinctively landed on my elbows at the top of wall. I pulled myself to the other side of the wall and landed abruptly on the sand. The height of the wall due to the slant had become almost 8 ft.

I left out the balance beam for the moment and decided that I will come to it later. The Alladin jump was fun. I climbed the stairs to the taller machan, jumped to the smaller one and then to the ground. Remember the Alladin Video game of Nintendo. The platform of the Machan however was not stable, it moved a bit when we ran over it.

Completing the jump I ran across to Burma Bridge, the exertion was now showing its signs. Humidity and the hot weather were taking the toll over our bodies. Burma Bridge looked to be the most difficult, but it completed easily. Monkey crawling, Tyre jumping and the Balance beam which I had left earlier finished with effort. I was losing my breath; heart was beating as if it was a 2000 W speaker at full volume. The t shirt was now completely soaked with sweat.

When we entered the base, we were given a form to sign which stated that the board will not be responsible for any injury happening to any candidate. They will be given all the medical attention required but board will hold no responsibility. The main reason for the clause was standing in front of me, the Tiger leap or the Tarjan Jump. Most of the people were injured because of this task. I have seen bruises on the palms of candidates who have attempted it earlier. The rope used was a thick coconut rope and if balance was lost while holding the rope, it will have serious bruises on the palms.

I climbed the stairs and was now standing on the 20 ft tall platform, a thick rope hanging 4 ft ahead. I was supposed to run, jump, hold the rope, balance my body and climb down. I started running and as anticipated the platform trembled and as soon I came to the jumping line, I withdrew seeing the height. I started once again and stopped once again.

Officer shouted “Come on! Chest numbers 21, jump. The clock is ticking”

I started once again. A single thought passed my mind ‘Hold the rope above your nose level’, the same thing what the Sergeant I met on train has told me. I jumped and I saw the rope in front of me and almost by instincts I held it above my nose. The action sent a terrible shock right through my spine and for a brief moment I held to the rope, once stable I slowly came down. It was not easy.

The last task was rope climbing, it required a lot of shoulder and arm strength. I started it and it was comparatively the easiest task of the lot and carried the maximum marks. I was totally exhausted and was breathing heavily. A slight pain started on the left side of the stomach, it happens when the body is heavily dehydrated and oxygen contents in the blood goes down.

I ran towards the easier ones again to increase the score. High jump was easiest.

As soon I landed on the sand other side officer blew his whistle.

“Okay 2! Time’s up!”

For once in my life, in spite of all pain and exertion I was happy, very happy.

To be continued……

1 comment: